The Omega Review :
PwnPurdue Chapter
Sunday, June 06, 2010
  You Spoony Bard!


It's no secret that I am a huge Square-Enix fan. Well, more specifically, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but lately I'm feeling alittle dejected.
I personally feel that the latest Final Fantasy games (XII-XIII) are missing something...specifically: player interaction.
This is more prevelant in XIII. Unlike its' predecessors, I feel no sort of accomplishment whilst playing. And, I am thoroughly convinced that the game wants to play itself. I'd actually have more fun just watching it. Most of the time, I feel like my only purpose in the game is to move my character from Point A to Point B. Aside from changing paradigms, during battles I'm basically responsible for hitting "x".
The Gestalts look awesome, but that's hardly a suprise. Summons are always the most badass addition to the Final Fantasy worlds. I have mixed feelings about the use of summons in the late games. I prefer watching the summon make an entrace, do something badass, and exit. When I am in control of the avatar, the awesome-level drops alittle. To illustrate my point, let's refer to FFVII. Those summons were incredible! I can't even recall how many times I summoned Knights of the Round. Then again, the battle system in FFX favored the controlability of avatars. With turn-based battles, summons can have a greater impact. The active time battles get alittle too much for me, so controlling a avatar usually ends dismally.
I feel that Enix needs to take a step back and re-evaluate what they're trying to do. I feel that they've begun focusing on wow'ing the audience instead of giving us a hands-on adventure.
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Just a gamer girls various blogs on games, developers, and a mess of other things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Archives
November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / September 2007 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / March 2010 / June 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Hit counters