The Omega Review :
PwnPurdue Chapter
Saturday, December 30, 2006
  Music Review!
Asobi Seksu - Citrus

First off, I have to say that this is one amazing CD. I've been reading John Allison's Scary-Go-Round for the past couple of days (an amazing webcomic should you be looking for one) and noticed he was doing a review of his top 20 albums of the year. He had only done up to number thirteen, but sitting at number sixteen was a band called Asobi Seksu. I read the little blurb he wrote about them...

"What on earth is the lady in Asobi Seksu singing about? It could be Japanese, or Moon-man language, or she just might be over-excited. It's probably just rude so she's singing it in a way her mum cannot understand. She need not worry because no one's mum likes shoegazing music. Mums are not up for sonic cathedrals and effects pedals."
After reading this, I decided "What the hell, this is an amazing comic, I'll give it a shot." All I can say is that I was blown away with how good this CD is. I haven't liked a band this much since I first heard Tapes 'n Tapes (which is another amazing band). And they kick some serious ass.

One of the best things about this band is the singer Yuki. Her ability to sing at such a high tone and then flawlessly sing in English then switch to Japanese is amazing. Not to take any credit away from the actual band or anything. Because they are some of the most talented musicians I have heard in a while. When I listen to the song "Exotic Animal Paradise" (Track 11), I'm reminded of the band Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I'm actually reminded of them a lot thoughout this album. Which makes me like it all the more.

I can't say enough good things about this CD. If you like music in general, you should listen to this.

Score: 13 out of 10
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Just a gamer girls various blogs on games, developers, and a mess of other things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Archives
November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / September 2007 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / March 2010 / June 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Hit counters