The Omega Review :
PwnPurdue Chapter
Saturday, November 18, 2006
  Videogame Review: Phoenix Wright!
When my mother's birthday started to come around, me and my sister asked what she would like for us to buy her? Her response was an enthusiastic "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney!" Surprised, me and my sister bought it for her. Not knowing what to expect, I waited until I saw her at work the next day to ask her what she thought. "It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's even made me laugh out loud several times." Which doesn't happen often with my mom when she's playing something by herself.

Well, she's finally beat it, and letting me play it. Now that I'm almost done, I think it's time for my first videogame review. I present to you...


[Known in Japan as Turnabout Courtroom: Turnabout Revival!]

You play Phoenix Wright, novice defense attorney. Your objective? Defend those suspected of crimes (such as...MURDER!). Sounds simple doesn't it?

At first, it actually is simple. When I first fired the game up, I remember sitting in my chair saying to myself "Holy crap, I don't know the first thing about being an attorney!" Thankfully, the game does an amazing job of showing you how everything works, and what you should be doing.

First step is you go to the crime scene, attempting to gather evidence that you think is suspicious and will help cast doubt as to who really did the deed. Then when you're in court during the trial your job is to find contradictions in witness testimony, exploiting ever single tiny difference in their statements in a search for glaring holes in the prosecution's case against whoever you're defending.

As dumb as it sounds, it's actually a LOT of fun. Phoenix's expressions are priceless. I've never failed to laugh after he objects to something by slamming his fingers on his desk and pointing his finger at whoever he is yelling at. Seriously, if I could point as good of a finger like he could, I'd be rich...


[The Legendary Finger, given while pressing a witness on the stand for more information]

There are 5 different cases in the game, which sounds short at first sure, but as you beat each case the next one gets longer and more difficult. Their testimony more and more solid. It starts to provide quite the challenge when you have a suspected murderer who's prints are on the murder weapon, but who didn't actually kill anyone. See what I'm saying? Have fun defending that one, Mr. Joe Average lawyer, you ain't got nothin' on Phoenix Wright.

All in all, this is a very unique, and very well done game. I'm looking forward to the sequel, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - And Justice For All. So if you're lookin' for a good DS game, I recommend this. Enjoy, and we shall see you later.
 
Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Just a gamer girls various blogs on games, developers, and a mess of other things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Archives
November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / September 2007 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / March 2010 / June 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Hit counters